Pages

Green Day v. WalMart

I read an article about Green Day not selling their cd thru WalMart because the giant retail chain wants them to censor it. Here's what Green Day has to say about it:



"Wal-Mart's become the biggest retail outlet in the country, but they won't carry our record because they wanted us to censor it," frontman Billie Joe Armstrong said in a recent interview.

While Wal-Mart sells CDs from acts known for raunchy content, including Eminem's latest, they offer customers the "clean" version of those CDs, which are edited for content that may be objectionable. But in Armstrong's view, "There's nothing dirty about our record."

"They want artists to censor their records in order to be carried in there," he said. "We just said no. We've never done it before. You feel like you're in 1953 or something."

I dont really listen to Green Day but I am totally on their side. I dont even buy cd's that censored from Wal-Mart. Actually, i may not buy any cd's from Wal-Mart. Their attempt to protect the consumer by offering censored cd's is a turn off to me. I understand why they may have chosen to go this route with their cd selection but, if i were a artist who uses explicit lyrics, i wouldnt want to have to censor my music in order to sell it. Go Green Day! I support u.

via: Yahoo! & MTV

2 comments:

  1. In their statement, they also pointed out how you have to buy censored albums, but you can literally turn right around in the Wal Mart CD aisle and buy The Godfather or something like that, without any censorship or any problems. Double standard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree. there's definitely a double standard. and it's a great point. walmart and other places like walmart should be consistent with their censorship by having it over all media, dvds, music, video games, and whatever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I look forward to reading your comments. Tell me what u think!